Pages

Football: Jardim replaces Henry as Monaco coach, three months after sacking

Football: Jardim replaces Henry as Monaco coach, three months after sacking

MONTE CARLO, Principality of Monaco (AFP) - Leonardo Jardim returned for a second spell as Monaco coach on Friday (Jan 25), just over three months after he was sacked, the struggling French Ligue 1 club announced.
Jardim replaces Thierry Henry who was suspended on Thursday and then sacked on Friday with the team second-from-bottom in the French top division with just 15 points.
Portuguese coach Jardim, 41, has signed a deal until June 2021 and will take charge of the team for Tuesday's League Cup clash against Guingamp.
Monaco chief executive Vadim Vasilyev said that it had been a mistake to sack Jardim after 2-1 home defeat to Rennes on Oct 7 last year.
His departure, however, would have been comfortably cushioned by a reported 8.5 million euro pay-off.
"Today, we realise that the story of Leonardo Jardim at the club did not end as it was meant to. Leonardo should have been given an opportunity to continue his job," admitted Vasilyev.
Jardim joined Monaco in 2014 and took them to a first Ligue 1 title in 17 years in 2017. They also made the Champions League semi-finals.
"Our club is going through a very challenging period. I am ready to admit that I personally bear the responsibility for this," added Vasilyev.
"We have to acknowledge that during the summer transfer window, we sold too many key players and, despite considerable investments, mistakes were made with respect to their replacement.
"This did not allow us to create a new, competitive team. The decision to dismiss Leonardo Jardim was also premature."
Former Arsenal and France striker Henry earned the Principality club just two league wins since his arrival in October.
However, his departure will not come cheap.
'BAD INTENTIONS'
He was reported to be earning an estimated €3.2 million (S$4.9 million) a year. With two and a half years still left on his contract, Monaco's owners face having to pay out another eight million as compensation.
"Thierry Henry is a football legend but due to a very unfavourable mix of circumstances, including, above all, numerous injuries to our players, hampered him from quickly and effectively leading the team out of the crisis," said Vasilyev.
Henry took over a team who were in the bottom three after just one win in their opening nine Ligue 1 games and already struggling in the Champions League.
For all the undoubted quality in Monaco's squad, too many players were unavailable due to injuries.
Henry pointed the finger at poor pre-season preparations under Jardim, and there were still a dozen players in the treatment room last weekend.
However, in an interview with L'Equipe this week Jardim hit back at criticism of the squad's fitness under his watch.
"That is an excuse from people with bad intentions. Either that or they understand nothing about football," he said.
"You need no more than a month to correct a team's physical preparation."
Franck Passi will be in charge of the team for the weekend clash against Dijon.



Spurs look like they will be without star Moussa Sissoko for their Champions League clashes with Ajax Credit: Reuters. That means he will definitely miss the home leg against the Dutch giants next
Spurs' Sissoko likely to miss Ajax opener | Free Malaysia Today



China strips South Korea of football trophy for 'indecent' celebrations South Korea's under-18 team apologised to "all the people in China" after a picture emerged of a player with his foot on the
China strips South Korea of football trophy for 'indecent



Captain Tim Paine expressed his relief after Australia beat India in the second Test to level the series at 1-1. Having lost in Adelaide, the Baggy Greens hit back in Perth to record a 146-run triumph and ensure there is everything to play for when the battle is resumed in the Boxing Day Test at Melbourne.
Post-scandal Australia 'grit' hailed after 'best win' for



Copa del Rey: Valencia to face Barcelona in final after seeing off Real Betis Valencia, who lifted the trophy on their last appearance in the showpiece match in 2008, will meet 30-times winners Barca in the final on May 25 at Betis' Benito Villamarin stadium.
Football news - Valencia to face Barcelona in Copa del Rey



A clinical Barcelona beat Real Madrid 3-0 away in an intense Copa del Rey semi-final, second leg on Wednesday as a Luis Suarez double helped them secure a 4-1 aggregate victory and a spot in the
R Madrid 0 - 3 Barcelona - Match Report & Highlights



Everton drop to fifth after Liverpool's 2-0 win against Hull City at Anfield, but Baines still feels the Toffees are in good shape at the start of the new year.
Everton vs Swansea: Instant Reaction | Easy in the end for



Soccer Football - Premier League - Cardiff City v Manchester United - Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff, Britain - December 22, 2018 Manchester United's Jesse Lingard celebrates scoring their fifth goal
Solskjaer makes dream start as Man Utd thrash Cardiff



Jul 11, 2018 · These have been strange weeks in England, weeks when it has been easy to fall in love in a nobody to blame, no need for a scapegoat or an effigy. getting onto the feet or heads of Croatian
Valley News - Forum, May 24: ISO New England's Study Was Flawed



Lure of Italy strong, says Chelsea's homesick Maurizio Sarri Thursday, 6 June 2019 ( 2 days ago ) Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri gave the strongest hint yet that he wishes to return to Italy and probably take the Juventus job by saying he misses his friends and elderly parents.



Qatar has stunned Japan and the football world to win a historic Asian Cup crown. Football world in shock over insane Asian Cup boilover. North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, South Korea, the
2019 Asian Cup: Son aims to continue golden period with South



British crash investigators have launched an underwater operation to recover a body from the wreckage of the plane carrying Argentine UK rescuers launch bid to recover body from Sala's plane.
UK rescuers launch bid to recover body from Sala's plane



Jamie Redknapp and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink have slammed the decision not to award Derby a free-kick prior to Chelsea's winner in the Carabao Cup. Chelsea narrowly overcame Derby 3-2 to progress to
Chelsea transfers: the 10 best and 10 worst Premier League

0 comments:

Post a Comment